- a word pronounced the same as another but differing in meaning, whether spelled the same way or not, as heir and air.
- Standard modern American English pronunciation (checked against Meriam-Webster Online).
- Must be different spellings.
- Must mean different things (i.e., cannot be two different spellings with the same definition).
- No directly foreign words that would not be found in an English dictionary and are not used in English conversation.
- No proper nouns.
I am not an English teacher nor a professional linguist. I started this list a long, long time ago for personal reasons, and it’s kind of grown from there. If you want to contact me to ask a question or suggest a grouping, be my guest. But I cannot provide expert answers to questions outside my expertise. This list is for recreational purposes only, and should not be considered a comprehensive list of homonyms or homophones of the English language. Thank you.